Last Thursday was my first time with this process of checking one-on-one with each student and reviewing their thumbnails. It was a Pottery 2 class. That is not to say that their drawing abilities are any better or worse than a Pottery 1 or the Advanced Pottery student. I am not looking for how well they draw but in how they are able to get their ideas across and to make sure they are meeting the listed criteria for the project; this could be pictorially in a sketch but this conference allows for their oral explanation as well. This differentiation takes into account ELL and students with special needs as well as the multiple intelligences. These sketches become a tool for them to crystallize their idea and in turn become a own road map charting their own unique direction.
It was a wonderful way to connect with the students since it is only my second week of teaching the group, meaning that we have only had about four or five actual classes together. I do not know them yet. It is my intention that this will be helpful in getting to know them and a way to connect on a more individual level versus the whole class; personally as well as artistically. It will be an established line of communication so if there is ever a concern for a student's well being I can use this as a trusted way to discretely inquire or help them if need be.
Formatively, it will help steer them in the direction they want to learn and explore with their art project, giving them a focus and a place to start. There course is open to change as creation is all about process. These initial thumbnail sketches will help them clarify their own ideas, further prompt their own ideas, just by the simple act of talking and brainstorming about them with another person. I get to see the first unveiling, lucky me. It's like Christmas morn! I love it. We did not get but a few done.
The student comes up to me at my desk so that I can record directly into my computer if they have accomplished their required five thumbnail sketches. They receive 10 points for each, totaling fifty points. They may chose to not do all five but it is to their advantage in order to explore and dig deeper into their ideas since it is often the idea just around the corner that is the best. It becomes a sort of filmstrip showing their thought process. We look together to see if they have met the criteria focusing in on their favorite direction. I am looking for thoroughness in thought and detail as well as variety. Variety may be another angle or perspective drawn from the same sketch. This creates discussion about the element of composition, another choice for artistic expression.
For some, it is an overwhelming start staring at a white piece of paper. For others they are so motivated to get to working with the clay they blasted through the required five, though not always quality. I sent a few back to consider more details. We did not get but a few done. There was an immediate log jam of students at my desk. Whoa! I created a student sign up list. I will keep that for the next class so they do not lose their turn in order. I initialed their sketchbook showing the approval to move on to clay. I may use a stamp or a sticker in the future. "Looks great now go have fun!"
One student had a great question. "Can we work with the clay while we are waiting?" Yes. But I told them that what they made would not count toward their final project since there direction had not received the needed sign-off. Good use of class time, keeping them on task and in touch and familiar with the clay. I later remembered that this is a level 2 class who are used to the way of teaching from my mentor teacher, Autumn. They don't know what to do until I teach them, let them know what I am expecting, which very well may be different from their other teacher. Unknowingly. I thanked the student for his inspiration.
Time to get dirty!
Feburary 23, 2011
It seems that I have been asking more than my mentor teacher does of the student for their thumbnail sketches. I am making them do five, no less, prompting them, helping them brainstorm, etc. My teacher says it is their choice to do less but that means less points. Each sketch earns them 10 points. I do believe that the more they do often times helps them in their decision-making process of a given project. It also seems to be a great way to motivate, bribe, them to do the work before being able to work in the clay. I must admit that sometimes I have known my first idea to be the best. One just never knows. I do value the process and exploratory aspect of thumbnail sketches, quick and dirty, or long and delineated. All serve a purpose for the artist. Practice makes perfect.
I thoroughly enjoy the one-on-one element of meeting with the student and getting to know them just a little bit better each time. Tease them. Laugh with them. Crack a smile. Yes!
The "thumbs" are a great point of discussion, for the student with themselves and their ideas as well as with the teacher or other students for that matter. From that starting point all things begin....
Many found five sketches to be difficult to produce, or were they just feeling lazy? Or did they already have their minds made up and wanted to give up? I know that situation. For some students, we brainstormed in words first instead of images. Some students were definitely intimated by their perceived lack of drawing ability. I told them it was Ceramics class, not drawing, even though the skill is still necessary in order to illustrate one's ideas to another.
March 10, 2011
I reviewed my expectation and personal definition of thumbnail sketches with my students this week after grading their sketchbooks. I saw many itsy-bitsy thumbnails the actual size of thumbnails. I took a poll and asked them how big they thought they needed to be. We discussed how they are used for an artist to get their ideas out quick and dirty, without much time spent on them, that they are just a place to begin and as you develop an idea you develop more detail and need more room to do so. From the raise of hands, many took the term thumbnail sketches literally.
No comments:
Post a Comment