Saturday, February 12, 2011

Authentic Student Artwork



February 23, 2011

Neither of my pottery classes have produced a finished piece yet: "Interior Clay Spaces", Pottery 2 and "Character Clay Portraits", Pottery 1. One student asked me today when they are due. I do not truly know yet. Not many have finished construction and the next phase would be glazing and then the two firings. With so many steps involved in ceramics it is quite the norm to have students working in many different stages at the same time. Differentiation at it's best!

All artwork is graded before it is fired in the kiln and before it is glazed. There are too many risks involved with a firing, such as another student's project exploding due to air pockets from inadequate wedging, or a piece gets accidentally bumped or broken off of the artwork upon moving it in and out of the kiln.

When a student is finished, they will fill out a slip of paper, similar to a rubric, which is their own assessment of the grade they think they have earned. I too will grade them so they can compare both perspectives and try to convince me otherwise if need be. Unless there is a large discrepancy, the teacher's grade will hold.

Understanding is continually checked as I mingle between tables offering assistance and prodding to those in need.

One thing I am noticing as I am checking in with the student and their project is the element of motivation and engagement. Some students are obviously choosing to not do much. Do they care at all? Is that something that I can influence or is it beyond my control since their doing the work is their choice? They know the requirements and have the knowledge to do but are basically feeling lazy. Is that a reflection on my teaching or just the mindset and nature of the individual? It is a tough spot to let go.

March 10, 2011

All of my classes projects were due today along with their project reflections and sketchbooks.
Talk about multiple intelligences.... soo amazing how all the facets in a student play out. Such a wide range of abilities. Pottery being an elective, the ages range from 14-18 or higher.

The final pieces were quite varied in their level of execution. Some students did not have the patience to stay with one project very long and instead they chose to do two or three projects that were lesser versus one that was well crafted. Maybe they just wanted to have the instant satisfaction of having more pieces to show for the day and loved creating more than the end product or vice versa. Some students worked diligently every day while others came the last two days and busted out what they thought was the project in two day. Was it quality? No. Something else that was wild was seeing how some of the no-show students actually pulled off a grade. Could they have done better if they were in class everyday? Were they gifted or did they just know how to play the system?

May 2, 2011

Another project was put to be this past week, 3 Faced Luminaries, for Pottery 2. My Pottery 1 class has some students finishing up on their Slab Vases. As I was unloading them after firing onto the student period shelves, I noticed something between my students and my teachers. Both classes have the same project. Hers are more ornate and altered. Mine are not so but their craftsmanship skills are shining.What I realized in this observation, was the difference in instruction, the actual words used to guide students, as well as the difference in levels of personal experience. She has been doing this ten years and has great comfort with the project and is able to show the students several physical examples. I on the other hand experienced this all for the first time, learning as I went along. I remember telling my students to alter their vases, add funky elements, etc... but I did not have a physical example. I also was not overly pressing them to do so when I walked around.What I was most concerned about was how they were putting their vase together structurally. That there vase was sturdy and would not leak. Basic. I realized it was because that was the level I was at, basic. I was just learning it myself and was not able to look up and around at any more possibilities, alterations, because it was all I could do to keep up myself. was limited in what I could give to my students. Ahhh soooo....

No comments:

Post a Comment